The Astronomical League of the Philippines, Inc (ALP) was initiated by amateur astronomers James Kevin Ty and Allen Yu on July 22, 2003 to cater the needs of dedicated amateur astronomers whose main objective was to concentrate more on the practical side of amateur astronomy such as observational and imaging techniques.
On August 1, 2003, the ALP took form when James Kevin Ty, Allen Yu, Edmund Rosales, Alice Villa-Real, Joel Paul Munoz, Ma. Purificacion Pijuan, Charito Ty and Jonathan Ty met at Alice’s place to set up the goals for the ALP. They were the initial people behind the formal realization of ALP as a dedicated astronomical organization.
On August 8, 2003, ALP formally took effect when the 12 original ALP founders namely James Kevin Ty, Allen Yu, Edmund Rosales, Joel Paul Munoz, Ma. Purificacion Pijuan, Alicia Villa-Real, Charito Ty, Alfonso Uy, Jonathan Ty, Edward Tan, Elena Moya, and Russell Limcangco signed the historic papers making the formation of the ALP a reality!
On September 8, 2003, the Astronomical League of the Philippines, Inc becomes an official non-stock, non-profit SEC-registered organization.
Goals of the Organization
- To further enhance the skills of amateur astronomers in both visual and imaging applications.
- To disseminate accurate astronomical information to the public.
- To help members acquire the skills to build his/her own astronomical equipment by giving technical assistance that are needed by him or her.
- To locate / set up observation sites that have less light pollution than in city proper.
- To stimulate the public interest in astronomy by concentrating more on the practical side of astronomy.
- To foster brotherhood interest among fellow amateur astronomers both locally and internationally.
- To submit and share astronomical research studies with local and international based institutions.